If you want to write an article about Checkbot, this page contains background information, logos and assets you'll find helpful. Please contact us if you need more material than what's here or have any questions.
- Press enquiries:
- Sean Wilson
- Based in Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- Release date:
- Open beta released on 1 February 2018.
- Checkbot is a Chrome extension that works on Chrome OS, macOS, Windows and Linux.
Checkbot is a Google Chrome extension that will boost the SEO, speed and security of your website by checking you’re following 50+ web best practices. Checkbot lets you effortlessly test 1,000s of pages in minutes to let you know how to improve your website based on guidelines recommended by web experts such as Google, Mozilla and W3C. Rated 4.9 out of 5 by users on the Chrome Web Store, Checkbot gives you all the tools you need to track down, understand and eliminate critical website issues.
Checkbot will become an essential part of your web development toolkit you can use at all stages of development. You can perform crawls with Checkbot on an unlimited number of sites as often as you want including local development sites and password protected staging sites. This lets you identify and fix problems as they occur during development which keeps critical problems away from your live site so you can keep your users happy and prevent your search rank from taking a hit.
Checkbot will become an essential part of your workflow for identifying problems early and guiding optimisations:
Boost your SEO, speed and security - Checkbot will guide you on how to craft a highly optimized website: improve your search rank, accelerate your pages and harden your security to make the most out of your site.
Save time on manual testing - Don’t waste time on tedious manual checks: Checkbot can effortlessly and reliably check thousands of pages for you in minutes .
Stop problems before they go live - Don’t wait for critical issues to impact your users or search rank: test your development and staging sites with Checkbot to catch problems before they make it to production.
Uncover hard to spot problems - Discover critical issues lurking in places you didn’t think to check: Checkbot’s crawling ability and comprehensive set of tests will root out problems you’ve missed.
Check all the sites you work on - Checkbot lets you crawl all the sites you want as often as you want: check every site you’re involved with after every change to keep on top of issues.
Get immediate feedback - Don’t wait days for your search results or Google Search Console to update to see what your changes did: test your site with Checkbot for instant feedback.
Checkbot gives you all the tools you need to track down, understand and fix website issues:
Quick & easy to install - Add Checkbot to Chrome in seconds with only two clicks: use Checkbot anywhere you run Chrome alongside your favourite Chrome web development tools.
Investigate issues - Track down problems with ease: use convenient shortcuts to view page source code, show URL response headers, list inlinks to a URL and examine redirect chains.
Explore your site - Browse all URLs found during a crawl: show your most linked to pages, list all image/JS/CSS files, review non-indexable pages, explore all redirects and more.
Check private & local sites - Easily check your site in all stages of development: crawl staging and local development sites, password protected pages and sites on private networks.
Customise crawls - Focus your testing on the parts of your site you’re currently interested in: limit the URLs crawled by subdomain, subfolder, search depth, pattern and type.
Export to CSV - Export lists of URLs with problems to CSV format: share the data with team members, compile custom reports and perform your own further analysis.
Get quick feedback - Think you’ve fixed a page that had an issue? Quickly verify your fix by recrawling only that page for fast feedback without having to crawl the entire site again.
In-app guidance - Not an expert? No problem: Checkbot tracks down website issues for you, explains why you need to fix them and confirms your fixes worked.
Checkbot was developed by independent software developer Sean Wilson from Edinburgh, UK who has a background as a full stack website developer. While working as a consultant on web projects over several years, Sean built up a collection of small tools to automate away tedious and unreliable manual testing that had to be done day-to-day to identify and fix website issues. These tools were eventually combined and expanded upon to create Checkbot for Chrome. Checkbot aims to be a comprehensive and user-friendly web development tool that makes it easy to follow current SEO, speed and security best practices for websites.
About the developer
Mentions on the web
- 13 November 2018 - Einstein MarketerMust-Have Chrome Extensions for Marketers, Entrepreneurs and Businesses: FREE Tools That Will Blow Your Mind
- 28 October 2018 - HubSpotThe 42 Best Chrome Extensions for 2019
- 19 July 2018 - Creative Bloq29 Chrome extensions for web designers and devs - The best free Chrome extensions to make your life easier
- 30 May 2018 - Creative Bloq7 essential tools for today's web designer
- 26 April 2018 - Web Designer magazine - issue 274, page 10Discover the must-try resources that will make your site a better place
- 05 April 2018 - Blueclaw Media"...Checkbot is a great bit of kit for optimizing a website, and a useful tool for introducing new SEOs with little or no experience to audit websites. The pickup and play nature of it plus the modern UI will appeal to many people in the industry and the fact that it is very easily accessible via Google Chrome is also another bonus."
- 24 March 2018 - Product HuntAwarded "#3 Product of the Day" badge on Product Hunt
- 22 March 2018 - Blogthinkbig.comArticle on Blogthinkbig about Checkbot (Spanish)
- 21 March 2018 - SoftpediaReview: "Efficient, modern-looking, surprisingly flexible, in short, one of the best tools for website optimization", 5 out of 5.
- 19 March 2018 - Merca2.0Article about Checkbot on Merca2.0 (Spanish)
- 26 February 2018 - DevTrendsThe Checkbot Web Best Practices Guide featured in DevTrends video
- 24 February 2018 - RedditCheckbot had the 4th highest voted post of the month on the /r/webdev section with 1,000+ upvotes
- 20 February 2018 - Hacker NewsCheckbot Appeared on front page of Hacker News
- 02 February 2018 - Saijo GeorgeBest SEO Tools curated by Saijo George
Please contact us if you need any more information, assets or other material.